Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
TORTUGA GUY
TORTUGA GUY

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:48pm

Post Subject: horse power

hello experts, i have just looked up another 40ft liverpool narrowboat for sale at £26.000, it all seems fine but i have one concern on theYammar KM2P-1 2cyl diesel engine, it is a 14hp and as i am not very glued up on diesel engines , wondered if it is under powered some what, i do not intend to cruise tidal rivers and would like your opinion , thanks again

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:31pm

Post Subject: horse power

In today's terms I think that you are correct but remember Liverpool are/were a budget builder so are likely to cut everything to the bone. It is worth remembering that in days gone by full length carrying boats had engines with not much more quoted HP than this. I suspect it will be fine on canals but may take a fair while to stop. It is also important that the propeller is properly matched to the boat and gearbox reduction. I would not be so happy on a river with a bit of flow on it. Those carrying boats swung props probably half as large again than a Liverpool hull is capable of swinging and large diameter props tend to be more efficient than smaller ones.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.