Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
TORTUGA GUY
TORTUGA GUY

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:36am

Post Subject: Willoughby Boat Co.

Hi Tony, now got my eye on a 40ft cruiser stern Willoughby Boat Co. , bmc 1,5 built in 1974 for £20,000 (which may be a bit cheap ??) do you know anything about this builder, i did a seach online and i guess they once built and hired out but not entirely sure, have you heard of this builder and were they budget boats or quite reputable builders, any scrap of info would be highly appreciated, thanks again for your time.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:39pm

Post Subject: Willoughby Boat Co.

I have never heard of this company but it's not surprising because in 1974 I was working with a cruiser hire fleet on the Thames. When looking at boats it is important to find out who built the hull and who fitted the hull out. It is perfectly possible that Willoughby Boat Co. only fitted out a shell made by another company. Personally I think £20,000 for a 40 year old boat is anything but cheap. There is every chance at that age the bottom plate and hull may have only been 6mm thick when new. I would also want to know a lot more about that engine. If its contemporary with the boat it is unlikely to be in the best of health. I would want to witness a start from stone cold on a cool day and undertake a period of high speed running in case it has cooling problems. Once again a hull survey is vital to ensure such an old boat will not sink under you. Are you aware that once a steel narrowboat is 20 to 30 years old (depending upon company) you will usually require a hull survey every four years if you want comprehensive insurance. Third party is easier. My own 1991 boat has a Colecraft hull (mid range builder) with a fit out by Rugby Boats. If you want more info on this boat please ask on the Canal World Internet forum. Also ask for their opinion about the price. I think it is probably at least £5000 over priced and maybe more.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.