Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
joeboy
joeboy

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:39pm

Post Subject: peeling paint

We bought a 32 year old, 'wooden- top' boat last april and subsequently re-painted it.The paint on the roof started to peel back within months although the rest is fine.The previous owner had waterproofed the roof with a bituminous paint as used to repair leaking flat roofs on houses.What's the best (and easiest)way of sorting this out?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:18pm

Post Subject: peeling paint

I fear you need a paint expert like Phil to answer this one, but unless you know what the formulation of the waterproofer even they may have difficulty. I am sure the solvents in any typical paint would tend to attack the waterproofer so that, plus possible softening in the sun may well allow the paint to peel away from the waterproofer. If the waterproofer is coming away as well as the paint I expect it is a result of sealing water/damp into the wood, so when the sun gets on it the vapour pushes the paint film off. You ask what the bet way of dealing with it is. I am tempted to say "get a steel top fitted" but that is probably beyond your means. I expect the roof is in a bad way and probably needs much renewing of wood, but skinning the while thing with several layers of grp may look a mess, but should make it waterproof. You may find cleaning the surfaces as well as you can and then sticking canvas all over them to which you apply several coats of paint may also serve for a time. However I suspect this will end up a constant fight to keep it painted and waterproof. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.