Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
NB_Gema
NB_Gema

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:31pm

Post Subject: Slow pick-up and hunting

Dear experts, we have a Barrus Shanks 35 engine. When the boat has not been used for a while, it starts OK. But after a few days running, when starting in the morning it is very difficult to get it to pick up revs, and even when it does if I then return the throttle to anything like tick-over, it runs at less than normal tick-over. So the revs are difficult to control until it warms up after about 5 minutes. In addition, having not started it more then every few weeks this year, it has started hunting at any revs when cold or warmed up - the revs increasing by about 100 rpm and then dropping back every few seconds. I know that Barrus's do not sell these engines any more and others have had problems with them. Do you have any suggestions of diagnoses or solutions? I did ask an RCR engineer about the cold running problem a year or two ago when he came about something else, but he had no idea what was causing it. Thanks Alan Diamond

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:03pm

Post Subject: Slow pick-up and hunting

I believe this engine was sourced in Korea and marinised as a cheaper model by Barrus. The fact they have stopped ding them says, think, a lot. I have not even been able to find any photos of them on Google so can not be sure about their equipment. I suspect it has a Korean made injection system that may well not be to the standards we expect today. It is probably a simple four element in-line injector pump with a centrifugal governor. What you call hunting is actually surging when a diesel does it and it often indicates the governor keeps on "overshooting" the correct position so it revs up, dies back, and revs up again. Some pumps have a fine adjustment to damp this at idle but I doubt yours does so I suspect a sticky control rod/rack for some reason. However that may only partially explain the other symptoms. All the symptoms suggest a fuel problem to me so what state are the filters in - have you had one apart to see what it may have caught. Not only the main engine filter but also any pre-filter between the tank & engine plus any strainers that may be in the lift pump. Do you more or less fully open the throttle as you try to start it? This would help force a sticky control rod to the starting position but throttle back as soon as it fires. What colour smoke comes from the exhaust while t is cranking but not yet started? A few wisps of typically white smoke or no smoke at all indicates a lack of fuel. Do you regularly drain/suck whatever has collected in the bottom of the tank to minimise water build up and check for early signs of bug? I do mine once a year in the spring using an oil extractor down the filler. It would not hurt to phone Barrus to see what they have to say about it. At this stage I can not recommend that you have the injector pump overhauled but certainly change/clean all the filters and water traps on the fuel system and send me a photo of what is inside them. If you can point me to a proper workshop manual for the engine including details of the injection equipment I will see if there are any adjustments you an try.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.