Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
wirren
wirren

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:53pm

Post Subject: api CF rated oil

Hi Tony, I have a Nanni 3 cylinder engine in our 2007 canal boat. The engine has covered 1300 hours ..... mostly canal cruising use. The engine only idles when used in a lock. Seldom run to charge batteries. I have used the 15W40 api Cd rated oil from new but have a chance to buy 20 litres of Mannol api CF 15W40. Is this likely to be too higher a spec for a 1300 hour engine ? (The boat has summer use only ). Many thanks, Mark.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:34am

The first question is what do Nanni say? I can not advise anything contrary to the manufacturer's recommendations. The last time I looked on the API website it said that grade was obsolete and superseded but canal use is highly unusual in that our engines rarely have to produce much more than a few HP. Diesels by and large prefer to work under a reasonable and varying load so a lower garde oil is often advised. Yours is a 3 cylinder so of more modest power than many. This means it will be working harder than the larger engines. This is NOT advice. I have been trialling API CF oil in my 3 cylinder Bukh for several years but it is an ex hire boat so very well run in and worn - so far with no discernible problems.

wirren
wirren

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:49am

Thanks Tony, Nanni advise api CD. I will give it some more thought. Regards, Mark.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.63 seconds.