Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Robmarkham
Robmarkham

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34pm

Post Subject: Battery charging

I'm out on my narrow boat at the moment and the alternator seems to have stopped charging my leisure batteries. Can i charge them temporarily from my starter battery with jump leads whilst I'm moving?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:49am

If its a twin alternator engine then yes, but remember to remove the lead when you stop and also take great care not to allow the clips tot ouch any metal parts of the boat. If you have normal wiring just connect a thickish lead between the engine battery positive and domestic battery positive. The negatives shoudl already be joined by the boat's wiring. If this is a single alternator engine then its vital that you get the problem resolved today and on no account join the two banks. If you do you will end up being unable to start the engine because you have flattened the engine battery. I can not provider any more help with the fault without some detailed symptoms and the make and model of the alternator.

Robmarkham
Robmarkham

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:28pm

Thank you, Tony. I've since found out (embarrisngly) that when I installed 4 new leisure batteries recently, there was a negative lead which had dropped down the back of the bank of batteries and therefore I didn't connect it. This lead also meant the alternator wasn't grounded. All in all, its amazing how something so small can become much more serious. Still at least I know there is a quick fix from the starter battery to the leisure batteries whilst the engine is running. Thanks again

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:34am

Well done for finding it. These things happen to all of us from time to time so just be grateful that you have one more little bit of experience to fall back on in the future.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.60 seconds.