Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Consort
Consort

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:22am

Post Subject: Expansion vessel

Our boat has never had an Expansion vessel on the inlet to the calorifier. We have an accumulator on the output side of the pump and a one way valve at the inlet to the calorifier. Is it beneficial to fit an Accumulator? I understand it could prevent water wastage via the PRV. Stephen

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:46pm

I think you mean " Is it beneficial to fit an EXPANSION VESSEL?" If so the answer is generally "yes" because it reduced the stress on the calorifier and, as you say, reduces the amount of water lost via the PRV due to expanding when heated. In fact some calorifer manufacturers make having en expansion vessel a requirement of their guarantee. Having said that many calorifiers are strong enough to withstand the expansion pressures until the PRV opens. If the calorifier manufactures says their product requires one then fit one. If not then fit one if it suits you but NEVER fit a PRV rated any higher than that specified by the calorifier manufacturer. Remember accumulators have air pressure at about the pump cut in pressure (near enough half the cut out pressure) while expansion vessels are pressurised to the pump cut out pressure.

Consort
Consort

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:53pm

Yes, thanks Tony. Silly me, I meant Expansion vessel not Accumulator (already have one of those). The manufacturer of my calorifier did not indicate any requirement for the expansion vessel. The calorifier is tested by them up to 5 bars. My PRV is 3 bars. I have the space so I might as well install the Expansion vessel for completeness. Many thanks for the reply Stephen

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.52 seconds.