Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
ndalford
ndalford

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:43pm

Post Subject: Heater over winter mooring

Hi-I'm looking to purchase a thermostat operated heater to use over the winter months to prevent burst pipes/water heater's pipes bursting and of course to negate expensive winterisation costs from my marina. I have a 45 feet trad narrow boat. Many thanks for your advice on appropriate ones to buy. Regards-Nick.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:09pm

First of all go over your insurance documents with a very fine tooth comb. I have had a report that at least one insurance company will void the insurance if a heater that is not approved for marine use is being used whilst unattended. If your insurance has this sort of clause then I am afraid I do not know of any such heaters approved for marine unattended use. Because of this and the fact that anything I say here may be taken as advice I am not willing to make any recommendation. I do know that some boaters do use tubular heaters such as may be used in a greenhouse. Others use small electric radiators. Personally I would not use a fan heater or any other type with a dry heating element inside. Please make sure that if you have a combi-inverter/charger it is set to charge only. If it is not an the mains fails for any reason it may well totally flatten and probably ruin your batteries by running the charger from the inverter that in turn draws its power from the batteries. Unless someone has invented perpetual motion that will keep on flattening the batteries. Finally you do not say where your boat is located. Assuming a dry exhaust tank cooled system your engine and any wet central heating system should be filled with antifreeze mixture (20% minimum, 50% maximum) so that will be safe. Most of the plumbing will be below the waterline and the unfrozen water below any ice will be passing a certain amount of heat through the hull. Plastic plumbing is far more frost resistant than solid copper. Note that I did not say frost proof. My boat is moored near Braunston and although for a few years I religiously drained the water system down including the pipes I have not done so for well over 10 years and so far nothing has burst. I run the water pump (engine running to avoid flattening the batteries) until just air comes out of the pipes (including the toilet flush) and the n just leave all the taps open. I take the thermostatic shower valve off to ensure it is fully drained and cap the connections so I can still use the water system. It is vital to leave all the taps/outlets open to give and ice that manages to form space to expand into. My shower pump will purge itself of most of the water. if it did not I would drain it down, especially if it is a pump in a sump box type. If you have an instant gas water heater then is is vital, heaters or not, to ensure the heat exchanger and diaphragm chamber is properly drained and and left with the drain open. I also leave the window hoppers not directly above the soft furnishings open to maximise ventilation and minimise condensation. I suspect heating the air may make condensation inside the boat worse. I have had the boat frozen solid in the water for some days two or three times since I stopped fully winterising the boat.

ndalford
ndalford

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:56am

Thanks for your reply and the insurance advice which I will check now. Regards-Nick.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.