Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
aka1974
aka1974

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:25pm

Post Subject: Petter engine fault

Hi I have a letter ac2w engine in my boat which runs fine foods but once fully warmed up when you return to tickover it struggles to tickover or cuts out. It restarts again easily though Any ideas please Thanks paul

aka1974
aka1974

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:27pm

Should say runs fine cold Petter ac2w

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:38pm

If you can get full revs & power out of it when cold (or as much as you once could) then we can probably rule out a fuel problem so that leaves overheating causing a partial seizure but you make no mention about it boiling all its water away so that rules overheating out. One thing that does spring to mind is valve clearances (sometimes called tappets) too tight. If one or more is then expansion may be holding a valve or valves partially open when hot causing a loss of compression and thus power. I would check the valve clearances first of all. Get one valve fully down, mark flywheel or crankshaft pulley, turn engine one complete turn and heck that valve clearance. Repeat for the rest. If that is not the problem then we have to think about things like a head gasket or some-such that only leaks when hot or something restricting the air going into the engine bay of engine inlet. However lack of air should cause blacker than normal exhaust smoke. On the present information that's about as much as I can say. I assume the sump is filled to the correct level, not overfull, the oil has not magically got very thin and does not smell of diesel.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.53 seconds.