Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
zilverman...
zilverman...

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:34pm

Post Subject: Static engine running

We are continuous cruisers but obviously some days we don't move. On these days we run our engine, usually for about 4hrs or so. The question is, should we run in neutral or with the prop engaged?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:38am

The missing piece of information is where are you moored, I will explain. It is better for the engine to run under load but CaRT say that you should not run the engine in gear while moored when on canals because it is likely to dig a hole in the bed of the canal or wash the bank into the canal. On rivers no such rules exists. It is worth saying that large modern alternators are likely to load the engine as much or more than cruising for the earlier part of the charging period so its not as bad a s some say. It is still best to maximise the load on the engine so when out of gear increase the revs until the ammeter (charging current) stops rising. This is likely to be at over 1500 RPM at first. Check ever 15 to 20 minutes and as the charging current drops reduce the revs to those that maintain the highest charging current. In the end you will end up close to idle but at that point I would raise the revs a little to a point that produces the minimum vibration.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:57am

A further thought. It was reported elsewhere that some Technodrive gearboxes may be damaged if run out of gear for long periods but only one major mariniser tends to fit them. The same mariniser told me over the phone that their engines should not be allowed to idle out of gear for more than 20 minutes BUT a different mariniser using the same base engines made no such stipulation. The mariniser would not accept that this made them unsuitable for canal use. However there are loads of owners who have had very little trouble from these engines. I will name the engine maker by email if you want but they do not paint their engines red, green or blue.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.