Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Jaybuck77...
Jaybuck77...

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:21pm

Post Subject: Canals near Gatwick/Birmingham

Hello All, Myself and my wife are looking to book a trip for her mum and dad and also her uncle and his partner. Her uncle will be travelling from Malta as he lives there so limits the options for canal holidays. He can fly to both Birmingham and Gatwick fairly easily. We want to find a canal that will be good in terms of access to the airport but also interesting enough for a week's break. Her parents and uncle are in their 70s. Thanks in anticipation of your help Jason

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:17am

Post Subject: Canals near Gatwick/Birmingham

There are no canals near Gatwick with the rivers Wey and Thames being the nearest navigable waterways that have hire boat fleets. Birmingham has a maze of canals but you want more than just a canal, you want a hire fleet and I can think of only one that is in Birmingham. That one is a long way from Birmingham airport. Birmingham airport has its own railway station (I am not sure how easy access is or how far the station is from the terminal) that would runs south to Rugby, Leamington Spa, Banbury & Oxford and north into Birmingham, Wolverhampton & Stafford. However I do not think any hire basses are close to stations. I can not comment on how interesting a canal will be. If you hired from Birmingham a lot will be very urban and post industrial. If you like countryside with the odd town and villages I would suggest that you get a taxi from Leamington Spa station to the Napton Junction area. It will probably cost about £20 to £25. In that area you have Calcutt Boats, Napton Narrowboats, Black Prince, with Kate Boats at Stockton & Warwick. The ABC group, Rose Narrowboats and Clifton Cruisers are around Rugby with Union Canal Carriers being at Braunston. I have assumed that you are asking about hire boats and not hotel boats. The concentration of hire fleets in the area around Braunston says something about the area's popularity. I suggest that you do a websearch for the companies I mentioned and book direct with them or get hold of a Hoseason's canal brochure. If you go via Leamington Spa then I have hired from Calcutt boats in the past and found them very good.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.