Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
whistler49
whistler49

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:15pm

Post Subject: Bilge preparation

I need to repaint my rear gas locker and bow tool storage locker. Can you offer advice as to best tooling to buy to remove surface rust / old paint - cordless angle grinder with brush attachment, drill with brush accessories - somebody must have done it before and know the best method. Also, any suggestions for standing the gas bottles on to help stop the rust forming under the bottles? Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:22pm

Post Subject: Bilge preparation

I use all the methods you list plus a detail sander with a coarse pad and hand sanding with emery paper. This would do a fair job as well http://cirrus-systems.co.uk/rotating-blaster-dis cs/. There are other similar makes. A scabler will also do the job but it will be noisy. I doubt that you will get all the rust from the pits so you will need some form of rust treatment like Vactan or Fertan before priming and painting. If you mean the engine room bilge as well you will need to degrease. I stand my gas bottle on two strips of plastic trim,that were put over damage when we had PVC windows fitted that I took off when decorating the rooms.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.