Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
gwynedd
gwynedd

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:18pm

Post Subject: Hull blacking

Which is the best roller to use for intertuff 16

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:57am

That depends upon how pitted the hull is and which coat you are putting on. For the first coat at least the answer is none, use a brush so you can really scrub the blacking into any pits. If you just roller it on the hull may look covered but unless you inspect it really closely you can leave the pits unprotected. International in https://www.boatpaint.co.uk/acatalog/Intertuf_16 .pdf do not seem to recommend or even mention applying by roller. If you must use a roller then you need one that will not be attacked by the thinners. I do not know what International thinners number 1 contains but I would suspect you would need to use a roller sold for use with gloss oil based paint. The ones with a pile or are hairy are usually for water based paints and often tend to disintegrate and shed hairs when used with oil based products.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:07am

I have just had another look at the International Data Sheet and found that despite not mentioning roller application under "methods of application" right at the bottom of the page it does list roller application but gives no further details like number of coats. I suspect that will be the same as brush application.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.