Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Matt
Matt

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:07am

Post Subject: Lister LH150

Hi I have a Lister Marine engine fitted with a reverse and reduction gear. I have a manual but it is not very clear - I have the reverse gear which sems to have too much oil, and the reduction gear with no oil showing. I assume I need to bleed the revers gear as the oil is way above the to notches on the dipstick. I'm not even sure how to do this I assume there is a nut on the bottom of the gear? I don't knwo a lot about these things so need some advice!! Cheers

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:05pm

The first thing that strikes me is that the reduction box and gearbox dipsticks are different lengths so has someone mixed the up? I am away boating at present so have no reference materials. I suggest that you ask Marine Engine Services (Midlands) about this or post on the Canal World Forum. Secondly the gearboxes are self bleeding so no worry on that score. I am sure both units have a drain plug in the bottom and as these boxes can play p with dirty oil t would not hurt to drain then and refill with EP80 gear oil in BOTH. If you drained both and then refilled with the correct amount of oil it would indicate if the dipsticks have been transposed. I think it true to say that when the oil seal between the gearbox and reduction box fails oil can flow from one to the other but I would expect it ot be the other way round. A n overfull reduction box and a low gearbox.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:28am

Just back home and checked. Almost certainly transposed dipsticks. The long one is for the reduction box and the short one for the gearbox.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.59 seconds.