Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
glamis104
glamis104

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:19pm

Post Subject: Ballast

I have lots of questions for you all. We have a widebeam where the stern seems to be too low in the water. Gas lockers on both sides have 2" of water in the bottom. Limited access to the cabin bilge suggests this is dry. Performance of boat is sluggish and I wonder if this could be too much drag. Should we consider cutting a hole in the floor and trying to take ballast out? Will there be ballast at the back of the cabin (near the engine?).

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:47pm

First of all why do you think the performance is sluggish, what sized engine( HP) do you have, is the propeller properly matched to the engine and gearbox reduction ratio, what waterway are you on? A wide beam on many canals will feel sluggish because it will push a lot of water in front of it, especially if you try to go too fast for the depth of the canal. How does the boat trim fore and aft? Is it front down, front up, or flat in the water? Assuming this is what has become known as a wide beam narrowboat rather than another form of wide beam vessel then how far below the surface is the uxter plate at the back. The uxter plate is the more or less horizontal plate that joins the rear swim to the hull sides and back. This information plus the way the boat trims will indicate if the boat really is over-ballasted or if its shoddy gas tank design. Many boats end up with water in their gas tanks and in some cases the design could fail the BSS exam. There is a diagram in this guide that shows you how to make such tanks BSS complaint by cutting an extra hole in the side of the boat. https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180428/bs s%20guide%202005%20complete%20web.pdf Apart from the area around the cabin bilge inspection hatch I would expect the ballast to be fairly evenly distributed across the whole base plate unless some has been left out or maybe built up to balance a side mounted tank of some description but to be sure you need to contact the boat builder/fitter. If out answer the questions I may be able to give better advice but at present I feel its more likely to be a ad design and unrealistic expectations that a ballast problem.

glamis104
glamis104

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:03pm

Hi Tony, Thanks for your reply. Our boat is 65' x 10'6" with a 40Hp engine. It has a 2'3" draft and weighs 27 tons. We operate it on the Grand Union canal around Hemel Hempstead. As the boat is 20 yrs old and has undergone layout changes, it's difficult for me to say if the prop is properly matched to the engine. It sits deeper in the water at the back and lists over to starboard by 1.5". The uxter plate is 3 to 4" below the surface.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:31pm

As the uxter plate typically needs to be roughly 1" below the static waterline I think that you can remove ballast from the back of the boat to rise it 2 to 3 inches, that may be enough. The GU should be wide enough for there to be less of an issue than on some canals

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.58 seconds.