Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
BrandonC
BrandonC

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:45am

Post Subject: Checking Valve Clearances on a 3 cylindr Yanmar.

Regarding valve clearances three questions please if I may. I have read your earlier post regarding adjusting a three cylinder engine and understand the technique. Do I need to de-compress the cylinders by loosening or removing the injectors? Does it matter in which direction the engine is rotated? And is there any danger of a cylinder firing? Regards John

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:43am

It will turn over far more easily if you decompress the cylinders but on balance I feel it is probably safer not to loosen the injectors. Take the glow plugs out if you feel you must. However as long as you take your time and allow the compression to "hiss away" as you turn the engine over you should have no problems and more to the point you will not be disturbing anything so reduce the risk of breakage or failure to reseal. There is no way I can see you turning the engine over fast enough using a spanner on a nut to allow it to fire, especially as it gets stiff under compression you will pause to allow the compressed air to leak away. It should not matter in which direction you turn the engine over because most cams are symmetrical but just to be sure I always turn in the normal direction of rotation.

BrandonC
BrandonC

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:44pm

Thanks again. My engine does not have glow plugs so 'hiss away' it will be.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.59 seconds.