Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Dodderman
Dodderman

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:39am

Post Subject: Gearbox issue - forward gear has difficulty engaging

When selecting forward gear it quite often doesn't engage and the engine revs freely. After about an hour the problem lessens but I still have to be careful not to move the lever too quickly or with too little sweep. Reverse has no issues at any time. See youtube video below of the lever movement when the engine is off. First is the movement when engaging reverse - quite a large movement compared to hardly any when engaging forward. Any ideas as to what to do please? https://youtu.be/ra2XbONbeDQ

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09am

The video shows a Hurth box and these do not have the best reputation for longevity and reliability. As far as I could see there was no reverse gear movement as well as no ahead. The lever on the box moved from the neutral position but far less in one direction than the other so just to be sure its not a cable issue disconnect the cable from the lever on the gearbox and move the lever by hand. I hope that doing so will give you the gears but I fear it will not. If you then get the gears you need to look at the cable and the control. If you don't then a clutch is probably worn so the box needs an overhaul or replacing. This diagnosis assumes the drive plate is in good order but as the video sowed no excessive clatter it probably is OK.

Dodderman
Dodderman

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:34am

Thanks Tony for the quick reply. The engine was off at the time of the video but I'll be back at the boat at the start of next week where I will take another video with the engine on. I have just cruised 40 miles over the past couple of days without any problems after this first hour of missing forward. There is quite a clattering in forward so my next video should show this but in reverse it is much quieter and always engages.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:44am

I thought I could hear the engine running and being revved up. I do not think a video with the clatter would be much help because one needs to do other things to isolate the area the clatter is coming from like by pushing the engine about to see if it is loose engine mounts or using a listening stick on various parts to locate where the noise is loudest. Apart from what looked like a different cable throw in ahead and reverse with that box worn clutches are the most likely and as the gearbox has to come off to check the drive plate or to sort out clutches you might a swell just try operating the lever on the box manually and if that does not work get the box off and look at the drive plate. The drive plate should be inspected every time the box is removed as good practice.

Dodderman
Dodderman

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:20am

Cheers Tony - will give that a go. The noise that you thought was the engine was trains on a busy railway line that I'm moored next to.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 1.08 seconds.