Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Turbo1948
Turbo1948

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:24am

Post Subject: bilges

Dear Tony, Could you please recommend suitable inspection hatches for the wooden floors of my narrowboat so that I can inspect the bilges? Many thanks, John

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:10am

Dear John I don't fully understand this question. Normally hatches to look into the bilge are made from the piece of flooring you cut out to form the hatch aperture. Then suitable supports are screwed and glued underneath the floor and around the edges of the hole to support the piece that was cut out to form the hatch. In fact I would be very surprised if the boat did not have such a hatch close to the back bulkhead in a cupboard or under rear steps. The procedure is so simple I doubt anyone has found it worthwhile to prefabricate hatches for this purpose.

Turbo1948
Turbo1948

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:02am

Dear Tony, Thank you for your reply. I only ask because someone has recommended to me circular plastic ones about 6" diameter. Which are even simpler to fit. Regards, John

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:47am

If you waat round plugs look here; https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LFVYF4/ref=asc_d f_B000LFVYF456796060/?tag=googshopuk-21&crea tive=22110&creativeASIN=B000LFVYF4&linkC ode=df0&hvadid=222086461140&hvpos=1o1&am p;hvnetw=g&hvrand=7749455350177028711&hv pone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvd vcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9050362&hv targid=pla-423451912457&th=1&psc=1. I Google Underfloor access plugs. However unless you route a rebate into the floor I think they will stand proud and potentially show through any covering. I am also not sure how well they would stand up to point contact like a ladies heel or furniture leg.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:51am

To do anything useful you will probably have to move ballast to get at the baseplate. I doubt these small round plugs will allow this. If you do decide to cut holes of whatever shape you will need to find out where the bearers are located and avoid them..

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.66 seconds.