Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tom
Tom

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:38am

Post Subject: Oil change

I have a 45' narrowboat with a Vetus 415.7 engine. Currently when doing an oil change I use a hand pump with a plastic tube which is inserted into the dipstick tube. I can see what I assume to be a drain plug under the sump although my engine manual shows it on the diagram of the engine but does not confirm it as such. Can you advise whether this engine does have a drain plug and are there any reasons why I should not use it as I don't believe all the old oil is successfully removed with the hand pump. I am able to get a receptacle under the engine to catch the drained oil. If this is not possible do you have any views on the electric oil pumps which connect to the battery? Finally, the engine manual recommends running the engine for a "few minutes" to thin the oil. How many minutes does this mean? Thanks. Tom

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:06pm

Tom, regrettably I can not confirm something I have not seen as being the sump plug. I think Vetus say you should not run at least some of their engines for more than 10 minutes out of gear, so I suggest 8 or 9 minutes but not so long that you can not hold your hand on the sump before draining the oil. As long as you are using the recommended oil and changing it at the recommended intervals I am sure the manual "sucker will do a perfectly satisfactory job as long as you make sure the dip pipe is at the bottom of the sump. It may help if you cut the end at a slight angle so you can still remove oil with the pipe on the bottom of the sump. Tony Brooks.

Tom
Tom

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:12pm

Thanks Tony. Looks like I will stick with the pump. Do you have any advice on the electric pumps which connect to a battery to make the job a little less physically demanding? Tom.

Tom
Tom

Thanks Tony. Looks like I will stick with the pump. Do you have any advice on the electric pumps which connect to a battery to make the job a little less physically demanding? Tom.

Tom
Tom

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:14pm

I have never found pumping out very warm oil particularly difficult, but in the late 1960s I had a number of electric oil drain pumps pack up with impeller problems. This makes me avoid them. I suspect one of the vacuum chamber oil drainers like the Pella at about £30 would be cheaper and far easier to use. Modern pumps may well be far more reliable. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.