Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Dave-w
Dave-w

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:03pm

Post Subject: 23' Springer

Hi I have just bought my first narrow boat, after 40 something years of river cruses at 80 climbing in and out was getting harder so changed so I can now walk on and off, and wonder why I didn't make the change years ago. Anyway I am doing a refit in the spring and find the walk way through the cabin i ns quite narrow with high and wide steps on each side, I am only 5'6" but when in the tolet/washroom I have to lean over and have my shoulders on the ceiling as I cannot stand up. I know my Springer has a V hull and this is the reason for the step's , I have been feeling about under the bench seats and it seams there is plenty of space before hitting the V , is there any reason why while I doing the refit I cannot lower and norrow the step in parts of the cabin. I don't want to go hacking about if I shouldn't . Thank you for you help. Kind Regards. Dave-w

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:31pm

If by steps you mean two raised areas of floor at both sides of the cabin and more or less its full length then when you refit, removing the bulkheads and built in furniture, there is no reason you can not lift the floor to see just how much space below you have to play with. Unfortunately the fixed furniture and bulkheads are usually built on top of the floor. You may be able to cut areas out thought. Many GRP cruisers with a V bottom support the extreme sides of the floor panels on the hull itself but I am no sure that is such a good idea. I would prefer something like a length of treated baton that would only rise the floor level by an inch or so. Be aware the steps might be concealing trimming ballast, pipework or electrical cable runs so take care. If there is enough space below I can see no reason not to lower the floor but be aware that you need to ensure the bilge is kept as dry as possible so you do not flood the now lower cabin floor.

Dave-w
Dave-w

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:02pm

Hi Tony-B that's a great help thank you, I'll not be interfering with the sleeping area or the log burner area, but at the moment I would not be able to use ready made cabinets for the galley as without the legs the worktop would be too high for comfort, I'm told some boats like mine have a shower mind boggling as I can hardly get my tolet/wash area and I'm only small. I will take your very good advise on board and be very carful what I do and a good look befor any cutting is done, I lost my wife a year ago so will be spending a lot of time on my boat, so want to make it as nice as I can, a visit to the Crick Boat show won't go a miss. Proberly have more questions as I refit if that's ok. Don't know much about steel narrow boats always had a plastic boat. Thank you so much for your help. Regards Dave Wiles

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:17am

An additional thought. Small Springers often only have a 4 or 5mm thick base plate so internal rusting is of more consequence than a more modern boat with a10mm base plate. This does not mean your hull is in imminent danger of perforating and I hope your surveyor advised on the hull thickness but it does mean that you need to minimise rust on the inside. So Whatever you do try to leave an air-gap of an inch or more between floor and hull and also provide bilge ventilation if possible. When you come to refit afloat if you find the hill has rust on the inside be very gentle with any rest removal you do, especially if an area is darker than the rest. That may be damp that could indicate a pin hole in the hull.

Dave-w
Dave-w

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:40am

Thank you again Tony advise I never gave a thought too, I was present at the survey and in his report he stated the boat " was a good example of the Springer Waterbug". The only comment on the hull and was "Some minor corrosion was identified within the aft mounted gas locker that will need some attention in the future " the boat has been well cared for over the last 30 or so years and I hope I can Carrie that forward. Thank you again for all your help, Regards Dave Wiles

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.59 seconds.