Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
jebnorton1
jebnorton1

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:42pm

Post Subject: Inverter

I'm about to replace my old inverter and am tempted to the prices of the latest Chinese models. Ive seen good and bad reports but would really like to hear others experiences. Thanks jeff

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:33pm

I can't help with this because I have no personal experience of far eastern inverters but I have seen some horrors on the web. It is likely that some UK brand name inverters are re-badged far eastern machines but with UK quality control. It is also likely that even top name products have their electronics assembled in the far east. I hope some other readers can give you personal recommendations but I would not buy unknown far eastern products over the internet.

jebnorton1
jebnorton1

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:15am

Interesting thoughts, Tony and thank you. Ive seen both good and bad reports on YouTube, with, perhaps not surprisingly due to the world market size, good outweighing the bad.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:42am

Its the videos that showed a series of burned out ones that concerned me most. If you only use an inverter now and again and always when you are awake then as long a sits mounted on fireproof board and away from combustible materiel it may not be a very large risk but if you run one for long periods when you are away from the boat or asleep then its a different matter. Although not certain it seem the amount of electricity an inverter uses just to work itself tends to go up as the price comes down, worth checking before purchase.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.