Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
gsvmtv
gsvmtv

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:02pm

Post Subject: Freeboard

For a new Boat Safety Certificate I am told my engine cooling vents need to be raised to 10" from the current 7". Is this correct? Presumably 7" was acceptable 4 years ago so are any change of regulations retrospective?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:47am

There are two different Boat Safety Inspection standards. Hire boats and private boats. The hire boat one is stricter than the private boat one and to the best of my knowledge the 10" rule is for hire boats only. The 10" also applies to the ISO standards a new build must conform to for the Recreational Craft Directive. If yours is a single owner private boat them to prevent a claim of negligence against the BSS examiner if your boat sank I would expect them to ADVISE that best practice is to observe the 10" rule but they should not fail the boat for it. If an approved BSS examiner has told you this then I would immediately talk to the BSS office to get a ruling. If by chance they confirm what you have been told is true then please come back and tell us all but I don't think they will.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:20pm

Thanks for your speedy response. Having gone back to the examiner I am now told it is the insurance companies that want the freeboard increasing to 10" not the BSS. Is this true? Thanks.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:32pm

As I do not represent any insurance companies I can not answer on their behalf. In any case that statement covers a lot of companies and I can't see them all being that dogmatic, especially those who offer third party only insurance. The only answer I can give is that you need to confirm this with your insurance company and any others if you decide to change. The cynic in me suggests that you have called his bluff and he does not like to admit he was wrong. This then raises a question about why he said it, does he have any association with a company who might just happen to carry out this sort of work? The 10 inches can be either outside or inside the boat so if all else fails in most cases an open top box could be welded to the inside of the hull with the open top 10" above the waterline. If needs must you could even screw and seal such a structure made of wood to the inside of the hull. Just ensure the cross sectional area is enough to provide adequate ventilation and air flow for the engine.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.62 seconds.