Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
raggy14
raggy14

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:49pm

Post Subject: Should domestic battery bank be connected on a sailway?

We're on the verge of having our new sailaway delivered, but today recieved quotes called "Cabling costs, for location of batteries and electric" our package included boat side electronics and we're finding this a little hard to swallow. Are we off the mark or do we have any grounds to dispute this? Thanks for you help!

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:53pm

Post Subject: Should domestic battery bank be connected on a sailway?

I am no lawyer but if I were asked to act as an expert witness in such a case I would want to study the document you signed when you ordered the boat and presumably paid a deposit. I doubt you have a case if no document detailing exactly what was to be done within the quoted cost exists but you may wish to consult citizens advice or a lawyer for their opinion. To me the term "sail away" on its own with no other subsidiary documentation would only consist of the shell, engine, the engine electrics and battery and sufficient controls and wiring to allow it to be sailed away from the builders. I would not expect it to be lined or have any domestic electrics or plumbing installed. I doubt it would even have a floor but might contain some ballast. If you look at adverts for sailaways you will find some builders offer a "sailaway plus" option that includes insulation and lining, then more options can be added. I am sorry that you have had a bad experience but without seeing the order documents suspect your naivety and lack of business sense played a big part. I hope you can put this behind you and eventually come to enjoy your boat.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 1.19 seconds.