Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
pragnell
pragnell

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:24pm

Post Subject: Antifreeze draining

I have a Beta 43M engine in my narrowboat. The antifreeze is due to be changed. I cannot see a drain *replaced* on the coolant circuit. If I disconnect one of the rubber hoses, the coolant will empty into the bilges and the automatic bilge pump will flush it over the side - not very environmentally friendly! Is there an easy way of carrying out this job, without flooding the bilges or polluting the canal/river. I believe my engine and calorifier probably hold around 40 litres of coolant. Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:28pm

So do not pump it over the side, disconnect the bilge pump hose from the boat side and pump the coolant into a drum. You should find a drain tap or plug on the cylinder block. I think your engine has a tap below the injector pump. Also undo the hose that runs to the lower skin tank connection from the bottom of the skin tank at the engine end. Drop the hose into the bilge to allow the skin tank to drain. I would not worry too much about the calorifier. Flush the system with fresh water if you can. Then replace the hose and refill at 50% antifreeze. Fill pint of water, pint of antifreeze until full. Then bleed the skin tank and top up as required. By filling to 50% you have several years of topping up with fresh water before the strength falls to below 30%. Tony Brooks

pragnell
pragnell

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:58pm

Many thanks Tony. Disconnecting the bilge pump output hose and directing it into a drum is so obvious when it's suggested, but it had totally escaped me. It's just the experienced input I was seeking. Should be staightforward now. Rgds Ken

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.