Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
BrandonC
BrandonC

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:18am

Post Subject: High Oil Pressure

A couple of days ago cruising my boat, which has a Yanmar 1600 3 cylinder engine, for the first time in several months, I noticed that the oil pressure was indicating higher than normal at around 58 to 60 psi. after about 30 to 40 minutes I saw the needle fluctuate then indicate the normal 50 psi, at cruising rpm, around 1500. After a brief stop this was again repeated. in all other respects the engine runs normally. The engine was disturbed recently to repair a broken engine mount which had been causing excessive vibrations, if that could have any impact? The oil and oil filter (screw-on cartridge) were last changed in June last year. I will change the oil again shortly but otherwise is this potentially damaging and do you have any suggestions as to the cause? Regards, John.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:50am

It just might indicate a sticky oil pressure relief valve but as they almost always jamb open that is very unlikely. Whenever an electrical oil pressure or temperature gauge starts to give odd readings it is usually a problem with the sender unit. They tend to be costly so check al the wiring connections first including any large multi-plugs in the main wiring harness, paying special attention to the negative wire on the gauge. I am happy to say any damage is extremely unlikely.

BrandonC
BrandonC

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:00am

Thanks Tony, tht's put my mind at rest. I'll check the wiring and keep an eye on it. Cheers, John

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.61 seconds.