Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
toomuch
toomuch

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:36pm

Post Subject: Sealant/adhesive

Hi We all know how expensive Sikaflex is any tips for stopping it going off if only a small amount has been used. With silicone sealants I have tried putting clingfilm over the cartridge and then threading the nozzle back on, with limited success, the silicone in the nozzle sets and I thought would make a seal and the clingfiln prevent the 'setting' travelling into the cartridge, but eventually the cartridge solidifies.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:42pm

Post Subject: Sealant/adhesive

I agree with everything you say and have never managed to find a way of keeping such stuff workable for more than a few months. I decided the only way was to treat it as disposable. You will find both Toolstation and Screwfix sells versions of sealer/adhesive that are recommended for things like caravans. I know these have been successfully used to seal parts of boats but not the hull below the waterline. As far as silicon is concerned I try to buy small tubes for small jobs. One maker at least sells it in small squeezy tubes that do not need a gun.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 1.23 seconds.