Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
toomuch
toomuch

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:40am

Post Subject: Putting in base plate - Internal

Working on base plate in engine well on semi trad treating some fairly bad rusting, done all the usual, scrapping, wire brushung, rust treatment. Painting over the pitting is difficult working it into the pits, what are thoughts on filling the pits after primer coats (just to make it easier to apply under coats and top coats)?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:14pm

Post Subject: Putting in base plate - Internal

I have never had much trouble painting pits in areas where finish is not important. I should thing the base plate is one of those places. I just load the brush well and scrub it into the pits. Personally I would not fill the pits because most fillers are porous to some degree so there would be a risk of damp getting to the steel. At least without filler you could see paint lifting or bubbling where damp did get in. If you do decide to fill then use a marine grade epoxy. If finish is important to you then I would prefer to weld up the pits and grind the plate back smooth. Check the paint instructions. I think International recommend five cats of Damboline bilge paint.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.63 seconds.