Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
marsh4u
marsh4u

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:55pm

Post Subject: Inverters

Hi. I would appreciate any advice you can give regarding my Mastervolt mass combi inverter. For the last fwe years, when hooked up to the shoreline I always have it switched to `charge' , when cruising it is swithced to `inverter'. After being on the boat this weekend, in the marina, when using the `charge' swith, nothing happens. No lights.....absolutly nothin. I swithced it to `inverter' and it worked perfectly and said it was charging (and it did). Any advice would be appreciated, Thank you

marsh4u
marsh4u

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:08pm

and I apologise for my spelling.

marsh4u
marsh4u

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:08pm

and I apologise for my spelling.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:18pm

Its a quality inverter so I would be less inclined to think about a unit fault but that does not mean there is not one. In essence it is two devices in one case, a battery charger and an inverter. The inverter takes battery power and converts it to 230 AC for use with mains appliances on the boat. The battery charger takes mains power from the shore line and converts it to about 14.5 volts DC to charge the battery. They are powered by two different sources and as you say there are no lights etc. on the charger I suspect it has not got a mains supply from your shore line. Have you checked the RCD on the shore line bollard has not tripped out. Is your bollard one that uses a card? If so has the card run out of credit? Do you have an incoming mains RCD/MCB/RCBO box (consumer unit) and if so has it tripped or has its isolating switch been turned off? Is there a device for selecting where the shoreline input goes? For example to the inverter charger or just to the boat's mains sockets. Has the shore line itself got got a break in it or, more likely, one of the screws in the connectors at the end has come loose? Are there any battery charger side fuses or trips in/on the unit? I think those must be the first things to check and if all those are as they should be for battery charging then it suggest a unit fault but before condemning it try disconnecting it from the battery and the mains for an hour or so and the reconnect. These things tend to be computer like and a forced reset can work wonders. Come back if you need more advice once those things have been checked.

marsh4u
marsh4u

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:01am

Thank you for your reply Tony. I think the incoming power is ok as the unit shows a mains power source when I switch it to `inverter'. I will check whether there has been a trip in the consumer unit.

marsh4u
marsh4u

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:01am

Thank you for your reply Tony. I think the incoming power is ok as the unit shows a mains power source when I switch it to `inverter'. I will check whether there has been a trip in the consumer unit.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:11am

Only if you really know what you are doing put a voltmeter set to measure mains AC voltage across the mains input cables to the inverter. IF when you connect the shore power you find mains voltage then you will know the AC supply side is OK. Two things though. Don't even contemplate this unless you are both confident and competent to work with mains electricity. Also make sure the unit is set to battery charge only so it can not use the batteries to put main voltage on those terminals. If that test is satisfactory the these units often have fuses inside them but again don't go taking the cover off unless you are happy working on mains electricity If you get that far and all is visibly OK then I fear it may be repair or renew time..

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.53 seconds.