Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
marylaker
marylaker

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:56pm

Post Subject: deck paint removal

I have a GRP cruiser and have removed all the deck paint except for one section which will not move. I am using Owatrol Marine stripper. Is there anything else I can try?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:29pm

If you google "GRP paint stripper" you will find a number of forum type entries plus, further down, some other products like Langlow Strip Away but that is not specifically formulated for GRP but another GRP boater has used it and says it works. You will also need a neutraliser. Someone else swears by scrapers but if you have a textured deck I doubt that will be 100% successful.

marylaker
marylaker

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:11am

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PROMPT REPLY. WE HAVE TRIED SCRAPERS BUT HAD NO EFFECT.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:15pm

Back home now so was able to look up a CWF topic about GRP deck paint stripping. This chap used Barrettine Peelaway Marine seemingly with great success. A thought, are you covering the treated area with clingfilm to slow down the drying out. The longer the stripper stays wet the more layers it will tend to attack.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.57 seconds.