Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
welska
welska

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:38pm

Post Subject: 12 Volts Lead Acid Battery Desulfator

There are relatively inexpensive "desulfators" which claim to be able to restore LA batteries. I believe that they store a capacitive charge and quickly pulse the battery with an reverse polarity voltage to encourage the lead salts to return a chargeable solution. I had one of these on a very pricey 48VDC forklift battery and they seemed to be helpful. I don't see them mentioned in subscribers questions or sold in the UK and they may not be 'allowed'....but do they work at 12VDC?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:42pm

Yes they are available in the UK and are also available for 12V systems. In fact some battery chargers claim to have a desulphate cycle. However the designer of the Smartguage who arguably through his research for that product is the UK's foremost lead acid battery expert said his research showed that sometimes they appeared to work, sometimes they did not work, sometimes they seemed to work but the battery failed soon after its use and sometimes they seemed to destroy the battery. My own look through academic research (as opposed to unverified and non-peer reviewed pieces on the internet) turned up two studies. From memory one Australian and one German. One concluded they did work and one that they did not. I think its a question of belief and you pay your money and take a chance. I won't be buying one any-time soon.

welska
welska

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:08pm

thanks for your response....I guess it can be just another religious experience. did find this though if your want to try one out for battery anxiety https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-batte ry-desulfators

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:50pm

It is my view that it is far better to stop the sulphation before it starts than try to remove it once it is one/in the plates and hardened. This means recharging the batteries as fully as possible and as soon as possible. My own leisure batteries that normally have a typical life of between two and four years have so far lasted over seven years but I accept they may well be well sulphated. However they still have sufficient capacity to do what I want them to do. Lead calcium batteries as most leisure batteries are have a gassing voltage of more than 14.7 volts so charging at close to that will convert more sulphate back to lead oxide. Likewise 60 Watts of solar keeps the batteries at all but 100% charged when the boat is tied up. It also helps complete the charging after a three to four hour daily charge. Basically de-sulphators are only trying to cover up improper charging and battery abuse.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.