Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Ray
Ray

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:10pm

Post Subject: Wood Roses & Castles panels

As part of refurbishing my narrowboat I want to replace the two Roses & Castles cabin door panels. The current ones have twisted and cracked horribly, think the builder used poor wood. What is the best wood to use to create new panels? I'll then decorate them with R & C scenes etc.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:22pm

If this were my boat I would be looking for some good quality marine ply, not Far Eastern ply or exterior ply. I think plywood with many laminations is probably the most stable. It will be expensive but try Robbins of Bristol. Take great care to seal all cut edges.

Ray
Ray

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:35pm

Tony, again I believe I've been given good advice, and again thanks as before Ray

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:28am

Thanks, note I carefully said "what I would do". A proper cabinet maker may well use solid timber panels but as they usually need machining to produce a tongue that fits into the surround. Good quality marine ply is far easier and can be glued into the surround rather then left a little loose to allow fr movement.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.