Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
toomuch...
toomuch...

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:00pm

Post Subject: Replacing Window Glazing Seals

Hi All My narrowboat has windows manuafactured by Caldwells in circa 1996, has anybody had the need to reglaze this type of frame, photo attached. I need to replace the glazing seals as they have deteroritated, I cannot remove any of seals to see what sections of glazing seals have been used as they just keep breaking up when trying to remove them, which is going to lead to more interim problems until I can replace them, do you have any idea of how the glazing would be/was inserted into these frames? I think the main glazng pane is pushed up into an inverted U seal set in the top channel then dropped down into the bottom channel onto spacers and then individual sealing single beads are forced between the glazing for the bottom and vertical channels both internally and externall, but I cannot be sure without wrecking the seals on one of the frames. I believe the quarter lights either side of the hopper are glazed with just push in wedge type seals, fortunately these are in much better condition, at present.

Replacing Window Glazing Seals
Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:25pm

Unfortunately the forum software shrinks the image to a postage stamp so I can't see it. If you want me to have a look email it to Tony@tb-training.co.uk. Very often the frames have to be taken apart so the window has to be taken out. https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/ can supply nearly any type of seal while Googling "boat window refurbishment" will give a number of companies that can do the work if you get the window to them. It is even possible a local glazing company could do the work. Here is the website of the manufacturer so why not ask them about the seals: https://caldwellswindows.co.uk/. I hope someone with Cadwells windows can give you more information.

toomuch...
toomuch...

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:20pm

Thanks Tony, I will email you.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:28pm

Thank you for your photo. Unfortunate it seems not to show the construction. from what I can see I suspect the horizontal bar needs to come out and then the main pane will probably lift out of thinnish rubber U seals or, a syou say, a plain strip seal on the frame and a rubber chord pushed between the channel inner face and the glass. The bar may have a channel at its lower edge that pushers over a similar U seal. I suspect you would find the side panes are similar once the vertical bars come out. This would be consistent with the way most boat windows are glazed. I suspect those bars are pop riveted in position and if so the pop rivets would need to be drilled out. You may be lucky and find they are held in with small screws and must but I doubt it. The hopper mystifies me because I can't see how rain running down the hopper and behind the horizontal bar drains to the outside. Typically the hopper would sit on a small horizontal ledge with an up-stand on the inside. This allows rain from the hopper to simply run down the main pane. Yours seems to have an up-stand on the outside so water will collect on the inside. As I said I can't see how it drains. On my boat the hoppers seals were stuck on strips of foam. I get a length of similar dimensioned close cell neoprene foam and after carefully cleaning the old foam and adhesive off simply stuck it to the vertical parts the hopper sits against. That included the quadrants that support the hopper in the open position so it did not rattle when open. I also did the same across the top of the hopper aperture. What I don't understand is if there is a seal at the bottom of the hopper. On mine is just glued a suitable U section rubber but any rain leaking out of the end of the channel simply leaked from the ends and down the outside of the main pane. If the hopper fits in to an alloy U section with drain holes to the outside then you could use a rubber U section but as I can't see the inside I can't be sure. If your main pane and side panes are held against rubber strip that is possibly self adhesive with rubber cord it is important to try to put two distance pieces into the channel for the window to sit on so it can't drop down and block the drain holes. That is about the most help I can give bit may be able to say more if you send a pot of the inside of the window. Tony Brooks

toomuch...
toomuch...

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:09pm

Hi Tony I managed to talk to a guy from technical at Caldwells today, who confirmed the windows need to come out and be dismantled to replace the glazing seals, as I feared might be the case. So plan now is to take out the small bathroom window (which is one of those that needs new seals) as a trial and depending on the sucess or otherwise tackle the others as and when leaks manifest rather than doing all at once, black sealant might be the go to stop gap. Looking at the cost of paying someone to do it (and the hassle) would not be econimical it would be about the same price to replace with new single glazed or double for double glazed. Thanks again for your input.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:26pm

Rather than black sealer I would suggest trying Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure first. Follow the instructions on the product. It seeps into cracks and dries to form a clear seal. It usually requires several applications. If it does not work then it won't stop you trying another sealer.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.