Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
masseyshaw...
masseyshaw...

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:06pm

Post Subject: Sterilising boat water tank

Having just bought my boat I want to sterilise the water tank (160 gallon) I'd like to use milton (tablets or fluid) but could you advise what kind of quantity I would need to put in and how long to leave it.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:00pm

Post Subject: Sterilising boat water tank

The instructions re the dilution rate will be on the bottle or box but you might have to work it out for your tank capacity. I can not counter the manufacturer's advice. The ratio does not seem to be exact or that easy to find, especially as the chlorine content of a sterilant may vary but one site I found via Google said 50 to 100 parts per million. Are you aware that cheap THIN bleach is the same sterilant? You don't want a thickened or perfumed one so cheapest is best. The following is not a recommendation and if you do it please verify what I say first. On my boat I emptied the tank, poured in one or toe bottles of cheap bleach and filled with water. Then I ran water from all the taps until I could smell the chlorine and let it stand for several hours or overnight. Then pump t all out and refill with fresh water. The water may still have a taint and if so drain and fill again, but often the supply from the tap has a noticeable chlorine smell.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.97 seconds.