Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
tabfaekirn
tabfaekirn

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:54am

Post Subject: Getting aboard

Hello! Sorry if this sounds a silly question. Im concerned that the hull (where i step onto my boat) is going to get very slippery over the winter. I was wondering if anyone knows of a "gangway" that would be appropriate?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:35pm

Post Subject: Getting aboard

Dear Tom, I wish more people would ask questions they feel might be thought of a silly so they do not waste a lot of time & money. If its just the part you step onto that worries you then there are ways to treat it. Good chandlers will sell rubbery/corky self adhesive pads, often with a diamond tread pattern moulded into it. If the paintwork where you step is sound then pone of these may do the trick. Secondly you can produce your own non-slip surface by obtaining some fine, dry sand. Paint the step onto area with undercoat or primer and scatter the sand on it whilst it is wet. When dry brush off the surplus sand and give a few top coats. There is a product called Protectacote that has rubber granules in it, but it only comes in large cans so is probably not suitable. If you really want a gang plank that will not be slippy when wet/icy then I think you need a piece of timber - say part of a scaffold board - that you apply a non-slip surface to as described above. You can buy gang planks based on a short ladder but these usually have a Hexaboard top surface. This is a resin finish in a hexagon or diamond pattern that is often used for engine and gas tank covers. I am not sure how non-slip this would be when wet/icy. I painted my wooden gang plank with some surplus Protectacoat but I am sure sand would do just as well. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.