Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
CaptainDC
CaptainDC

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:10pm

Post Subject: Which antifreeze to use

Which antifreeze should I use in my heating system? I have and Eberspacher running radiators and hot water via a calorifier. Thanks. Dave

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:44pm

Ho-hum did the other lot not provide and answer? It is normally recommended that you use an ordinary automotive antifreeze. There are two types available, but if you are changing from one to the other a good flush would be a good idea. Antifreeze is said to break down into acidic components over time, probably due to the way the corrosion inhibitors work. Ordinary antifreeze should be changed every second year. You can also get long life antifreeze at extra cost with a five year change interval. Either should do. Now I can not lead you to believe that those time limits can be exceeded by a year or so, but I know they are on many boats. However there may be a corrosion penalty to pay. If you use a 50% mixture (no more) then topping up with ordinary water over the next few years should not take the mixture below about 20% to 30% which is typically recommended. ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING - it is vital on central heating systems that you mix the antifreeze and water before you put it in the system. If you do not you may end up with very hot pipes and cold radiators! Tony Brooks

CaptainDC
CaptainDC

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:16pm

Thanks for the advice Tony - and you were right about "the other lot". Cheers. Dave

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.37 seconds.