Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
TonyPerris
TonyPerris

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:40pm

Post Subject: Waterway Beam Restrictions?

Is there a reasonably complete source of information regarding width restrictions for widebeam craft on the national waterway network?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:23pm

Post Subject: Waterway Beam Restrictions?

Dear Tony, I had hoped someone better qualified to answer would reply, but as they have not here is my opinion. First off much depends upon what you need this information for and how accurate it has to be. Further more the profile of the boat has a bearing in some cases. It seems well established that even BW figures are not accurate and some differ from publication to publication. The GU from just south of Birmingham is a case in point. The BW figure seem to be a tad conservative and unless you are happy to be restricted to tunnel passages at grossly unsocial hours are not helpful. I suspect enquiring of the individual waterway authorities would elicit a safe figure. BW regions, EA regions/waterways, Broads authority, Middle Level Commissioners and then things like the various drainage boards. I suspect the best source is Jane Cumberlidge's book Inland Waterways of Great Britain ISBN 0 85288 355 2. However if I was looking to move a wide boat I think those waterways listed as having a beam limit close to the boats beam would require enquiries of those with extensive local knowledge. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.