Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.


To go back to the experts page click here>>


Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:42pm

Post Subject: Water-side Properties?

Is there a "consolidated" source of information regarding sales of houses with waterfront/moorings, or of plots of land upon which it may be possible to build a house and mooring? Are there any specialist agencies or magazines, or is it a matter of trawling?


Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:55pm

Post Subject: Water-side Properties?

Dear Tony, Google "waterside properties and you will come up with several but they are by no means exhaustive. Also look in the back pages of this and other magazines. However be aware that the fact you are beside a navigation does not mean you will automatically be allowed to create a mooring. You may not even be allowed to transfer an existing mooring into you name. On rivers things are complicated by riparian rights but on canals you not only have to get agreement from British Waterways but you will also (almost certainly) have to pay an annual mooring fee. Also BW usually own a strip of land between your property and canal. They have recently been demanding a significant annual wayleave fee for the use of this strip on some waterways. For goodness sake get a very good solicitor and treat anything the vendor or agent says about mooring rights with a great deal of scepticism. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.