Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Barber007
Barber007

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:03pm

Post Subject: Central heating inhibitor

Hi we have a solid fuel run central heating system. The water in the system contains a very smelly rusty coloured additive which we are keen to get rid of. So we ae planning to flush out the system, use central heating cleaner and then refill. I have read your responses about using antifreeze, and the importance of mixing 50/50 prior to filling the system. However, do I also need to add an inhibitor, and if so can you recommend one. Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:07pm

Post Subject: Central heating inhibitor

Vehicle antifreeze contains a corrosion inhibitor which is probably more important than the antifreeze properties. I am sure it is this that breaks down into acidic components as it does its job. vehicle antifreeze is not recommended for solid fuel central heating systems because its use as such is almost zero when compared with its "normal" use so the manufacturers will not test it or provide product liability for such a small market. However that is what I would use. If this is not to your liking then visit any plumbers' merchant and discuss your needs with them but make sure they understand that you need antifreeze as well as corrosion inhibiting actions. f you follow the recommended drain and flush intervals (see the other central heating answers) I do not see how you will get many products of corrosion. I suspect your system has not been regularly flushed and refilled with antifreeze. I fear you may have to remove your radiators and take them ashore to give them a proper flushing. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.62 seconds.