Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
sooty1957
sooty1957

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:37pm

Post Subject: zig unit ?

Would it be ok to use the mains 'zig' unit from a caravan to charge/provide 12 volt (lighting/water pump) from the leisure battery on a narrowboat?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:58pm

If I knew what a "Zig unit" was and also had its full technical specification I may be able to make a judgement but caravans normally sit on rubber tyres and tend not be be connected to other vans by floating in water so it is vital to ensure adequate line-earth isolation and also that the unit can be properly earthed. The caravan market seems rather more price driven than the marine market so I would expect caravan units to be rather more "built down to a price" and as soon as you mix mains, 12 volts & water I get rather concerned. I must advise you to take advice from a properly qualified marine electrician on this one. Tony Brooks

sooty1957
sooty1957

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:16pm

Thankyou for your quick & honest reply. I think I will stick to something manufactured for the marine market !

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.