Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
hamilton1
hamilton1

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:58pm

Post Subject: flopower shower pump

we have a 2 year old boat fitted with a flopower fl-30 12v 10L per min 17psi shower pump. I have cleaned the filter but it is very lazy and i wondered if you had any top tips as i am loosing the will to live.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:00pm

Dear Karl - and ALL questioners, please try to be more descriptive in exactly what your symptoms are and what the equipment you are asking about actually does. I have no idea what you mean by a lazy pump and I also am not familiar with Flopower as a brand. Is this a fresh water pump or a shower draining pump? Having spent time Googling for the pump I find it is a Chinese fresh water pump by the looks of it and so would normally be supplying all the boat's water outlets. I am not sure why this is referred to as a shower pump - does the "lazy" symptom only apply to the shower or is the boat plumbed in an unconventional manner? If it is the single fresh water pump and all the taps work OK but the flow from the shower is reduced I would suggest that first you descale the holes in the shower head, then check the shower mixer in case it has any strainers on its inlets and finally make sure the mixer is turning on fully. Another thought has just crossed my mind - is the water heated with an instant gas water heater? If so perhaps that needs descaling and adjusting. If by lazy you mean it sounds as if it is running at near normal speed but the output from all the taps and the shower is low then there must be a blockage somewhere. Tank breather, master shut off valve close to the tank or some such. I could also be pump valves jammed open. If you mean the pump sounds as if it will no longer spin up to speed then you are looking at low supply voltage (flat batteries, undersized supply cables, loose or dirty connections etc). However as this pump is Chinese made it would not surprise me if the motor was beginning to play up; If you mean that the pump runs at its normal speed but cuts out at a lower pressure than it used to then the pressure switch either needs adjusting or replacing. Tony Brooks

hamilton1
hamilton1

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:44pm

Tony,sorry mate about not giving enough info. The pump is just for the used water from the shower tray it is piped up with the correct dia hose which we have cleaned thoroughly,the lift from the pump to the outlet is 18 inches well within spec.I am guessing from your reply it will be the pump it self as it worked adequately before.I am resigned to getting a new one, thought i would go for a whale gulper 220,what do you think.thanks again great service.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:53pm

Karl, the website http://www.flopowercn.com/ShowProduct.asp?id=53 clearly indicates that pump is a domestic water pump with several small valves or even small diaphragm chambers. It also talks about using it with an accumulator which confirms its a domestic water pump. I doubt the valves in this pump are self cleaning in any significant way so I suspect the whole of the diaphragm & valve parts are clogged - probably with hair. I know you mention a filter, but hair seems to pass through such things, in any case the one supplied with the pump is for rust etc. not hair. I think you could download instructions from the web & strip the pumping end down. You may then be able to clean it. Even if you broke it you will be no worse off than now, but expect the problem to come back again. I agree you need a single diaphragm pump with large rubber flap type valves that do self clean so the Whale Gulper is a good choice, but I am sure there are other makes as well. Before buying a new pump please put a voltmeter across the pump terminals whilst its pumping. If the voltage is less than (say) 11.5 volts look at the state of the batteries and the other things I mentioned in my first reply. Best of luck with stripping it, Tony Brooks

hamilton1
hamilton1

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:08pm

Tony,took the bull by the horns this afternoon and climbed in to a small dark place and took the pump out thinking i would replace it,on closer inspection the inlet and outlet side hair was hanging out & to my amazement the fixings were normal instead of some weird screw or nut.on to a clean sheet on the table,2 brews later it was sripped cleaned & put back together.tested it ,perfect.logged on to explain & you must have been watching.can't thank you enough,its all a learning curve.still,will budget for a proper one. have checked with voltmeter & is up to spec ,cheers we owe you a pint.Karl

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.