Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
newbury
newbury

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:59pm

Post Subject: Maximum boat lenght on Kennet and Avon

Hi I saw this on your website : 93 miles 106 locks Maximum dimensions: length 75ft (Bristol to Bath), 70ft (Bath to Reading) although a 71ft 6in narrowboat can pass the locks singly, beam 16ft (Bristol to Bath), 13ft 2in (Bath to Newbury), 14ft (Newbury to Reading) Does this mean that the maximum boat lenght that can travel on these strecthes of canal is around 14ft between Reading and Bath....where is the problem area that restricts us?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:29pm

Dear Jake, I am sure one of the others will be along to give a more definitive answer but the normal way of reading this sort of thing (It also applies to some "northern" waterways) is that at the beam stated the maximum length is as stated. So between Reading & Bath a wide beam boat (not a narrowboat) can have a maximum length of 70 ft. However as a narrowboat can be put into a lock diagonally and thus tuck into the V between one lower gate and lock side a 71.5ft narrowboat will fit. Having travelled that canal a few times I am trying to think about where the shorter locks are. I think the problem for long wide beam boat will be at the "new" lock near Theale. If you are thinking of taking any boat that is within about 6 ft of maximum length please make sure any front well deck is covered. Otherwise I can see flooding dangers on the Reading to Newbury stretch. Tony Brooks

canalboat
canalboat

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:24am

Jake I think you are confusing width with length â beam equals the maximum width of the canal at the various points so less than 14ft means it's a little tight for two boats side by side in places or if you have a widebeam. That said, there are plenty of widebeams on the K&A so you shouldn't have a problem.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.38 seconds.