Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
willel
willel

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:06pm

Post Subject: Solar panels

Please could you tell me whether it makes a difference if I have sealed or dry cell batteries if I decide to fit solar panels?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:19pm

Post Subject: Solar panels

Dear Les It makes no difference to the panels but if you get the regulator set for flooded cell, ventilated batteries when they are Gel or one type of AGM battery the batteries may be ruined. I take it you do not actually mean dry cell batteries because I have yet to hear of any true dry cells of sufficient capacity. I suspect you mean batteries that you can not top up - be they filled with acid, acid in glass fibre wadding or acid jelly. If you are thinking about anything other than "normal" flooded cell batteries it is vital that you get your battery supplier to put in writing what the maximum charging voltage is for the particular batteries and make sure you can set the regulator to that value. Insist the supplier shows you his source for that vital information and does not just "make it up". Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.