Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
pondlife1
pondlife1

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:50am

Post Subject: Waste tank cleaning

After many years our waste tank is starting to build up a layer of waste residue. We do use blue chemical all the time. Can you advise what can be done to thoroughly clean ou the tank pse? After it is clean should we continue using blue?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:20pm

Dear Martin, First you need to get reasonable access to the inside of the tank. If its a "dump through" toilet removing it may well be enough. If its any other type of toilet you might have to cut an inspection hatch in the top of the tank. The next problem is how to remove the sludge (and what you are going to do with it!). The last part is probably easiest to deal with - tip it down an Elsan disposal point. If you have a DIY pump out kit using that in conjunction with a pressure washer with a long, bent wand or a piece of narrow bore pipe, also bent, in a hose pipe with good pressure will probably shift most of it and wash it to the pump out hose. You may have to make up a mini hoe or rake to agitate the solids and move them to wards the pump out, but keep applying lots of water. If you do not have long period access to a pump out then I am afraid its mechanical removal with a soup ladle. Do not worry too much about getting the tank absolutely clean because I fear it will be bucket and sponge job at the end. Using blue has ensured that you have killed most of the bugs that break down the waste and preserved it so as long as you have one or two LARGE breathers on the tank forget blue. If you have th more usual half inch breather you may find the tank produces worse smells than with blue so take the opportunity to fit at least one large diameter breather as far away from the existing breather as you can. I would suggest using 28mm plumbers fittings and a suitable skin fitting. keeping a ready supply of fresh air over the effluent helps the non-smelly bugs breed which also break down the solids. Tony Brooks

pondlife1
pondlife1

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:15am

Thank you Tony for your kind and prompt help. If we were to flush the tank through to clear it of blue as fas as is possible - could we then drop some microbe eating material down the tank to see if that will clear it? If so are you able to recommend what sort of material we should use please?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:54pm

Dear Martin My feeling is that the solids at the bottom of the tank will be so full of blue that it will kill any microbes trying to eat it (you want to encourage the microbes not kill them). AS long as your tank breather is a good size I am sure flushing and not using blue will help prevent more deposits. My feeling is that the solids at the bottom of the tank will be so full of blue that it will kill any microbes trying to eat it (you want to encourage the microbes not kill them). AS long as your tank breather is a good size I am sure flushing and not using blue will help prevent a reoccourance, but I doubt anything (despite some vendors claims) will break down the deposits very quickly. I suspect the engine vibrations may have packed the muck down into a semi-compacted slab. I honestly think mechanical removal is your best bet. If you still have adequate tank capacity then by all means stop using blue (reminder about breather size) and start to use either a "septic tank additive" from B&Q or one of the "no-smell" liquids from chandlers. Some people swear by throwing a yeast tablet down the loo every few days. Given time the microbes may eventually break the residue down, but it will not be quick - think years. Tony Brooksccourance, but I doubt anything (despite some vendors claims) will break down the deposits very quickly. I suspect the engine vibrations may have packed the muck down into a semi-compacted slab. I honestly think mechanical removal is your best bet. If you still have adequate tank capacity then by all means stop using blue (reminder about breather size) and start to use either a "septic tank additive" from B&Q or one of the "no-smell" liquids from chandlers. Some people swear by throwing a yeast tablet down the loo every few days. Given time the microbes may eventually break the residue down, but it will not be quick - think years. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.