Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
davidspyby
davidspyby

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:11pm

Post Subject: weighted anchor rope

we have a 55ft nb and would like to know the length of the anchor rope/chain required. We have also heard about a weighted(lead) anchor rope. Is this suitable for a NB and if so do you know of any suppliers please? Many thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:44pm

Post Subject: weighted anchor rope

Dear David I am going to assume you will be using a "Danforth" type anchor as used on most narrowboats because the recommended weight varies with anchor design. The various guides typically give something around the 56lb. mark. To this you need to add either about 6 to 10 feet of chain (the more the better) or your lead loaded rope. Now, I do not know about you, but there is no way I could recover perhaps sixty or seventy pounds of anchor and chain by hand, whilst balanced on the front of a narrowboat. The length of rope depends upon the depth in which you intend to anchor but one web source recommends about 110 meters of rope and chain. This, however, is for a sea boat and unless you intend trying Loch Ness I can not think anywhere that a narrowboat would require this length. Typically you would use between 4 and 7 times the depth of water you will be anchoring in. Practically I would say choose the heaviest anchor you can lift without undue struggle allowing for the weight of the chain. Many narrowboaters do nit use chain at all but I am not sure that's such a good idea. You will find most chandlers who sell anchors will advise. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.