Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
grenchild
grenchild

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:42pm

Post Subject: frost stat

Hi, I have been looking for a 12v frost stat, but cannot find one do you know of any companys that sell these.Many thanks.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:57pm

Unless I know far more about what you want this for I have no intention of even looking for one. The obvious conclusion is that you intend to use your batteries to prevent freezing. That is a recipe fort short battery life an disaster. If you would care to give me far more info I will see if I can help, but running any heating system automatically with 12v and no charging is likely to result in damaged batteries. Tony Brooks

grenchild
grenchild

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:58pm

sorry for dedlay in respones (internet problems) I need a 12v frost stat for the heating system in my boat, it is diesel fired heating and is connected to a shoreline power supply, i wish to install a stat within the boat to turn on the heating whilst I am away from the boat if the weather should turn really cold

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:26pm

First of all contact the makers/distributors of the actual heater because they probably supply such a thing or you may even find their "normal" thermostat has a frost setting on it. I note that my Alde thermostat is a mechanical device and it certainly has a frost symbol on the knob when its turned right down. The contacts in the Alde stat are not very large, so you need to establish the current your heater will draw from the stat and ensure the thermostat can handle that current (this is why I said contact the manufacturers. Having said all that any mechanical thermostat (probably cheap ones) will do providing it has a low enough setting and the contacts can handle the current you need, even if they can not you can always make the stat control a relay that in turn feeds current to the heater. I am pleased you specified that you have a shoreline but I am concerned that all three of the common diesel heaters do not seem to like running on reduced load and carbon up quickly, so unless you can ensure yours runs at full power and then shuts down until the temperature drops again I fear you may be storing up problems and the need for regular decarbonising of the heater. AS you have power available and with the cost of diesel are you sure you would not be better served by (say) an oil filled electric radiator with its own thermostat set to minimum? I suspect Lidle/Alde etc. will soon have some special offers. Google is your friend, this is the first hit I came up with looking for Thermostat with frost setting - put all the url on one line without spaces. http://www.uk-plumbing.com/siemens-rad1f-frost-t hermostat-p-1391.html?zenid=fad9f52caed2ac2b9b98 51d0248a819a

grenchild
grenchild

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:22pm

Thanks tony, have checked the web site and the stat is just the one I need, the load on the stat is not high as I am just using it to link across the control circuit of the electronic programmer that feeds down to relays to fire the heater, I need heating to run as i have incorporated a heating circuit that also keeps the water pump annd expansion tank area warm and also enough residual heat loss to help protect the fresh water tank connections, given the layout off my boat I would probably need 3-4 oil rads. once again many thanks.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.