Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
blavster
blavster

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:07am

Post Subject: Calorifier?

Hello, the hot water on my narrowboat is currently heated by the engine via a calorifier. However, I'm soon to be moored up for a while and was wondering how to go about installing a LPG boiler. Would it possible to set it up directly in line after the calorifer so that it kicks in when the waters not hot enough, is this possible? Or will Ineed to install a twin-coil calorifier? Cheers.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:49am

Post Subject: Calorifier?

Normally we would use a twin coil calorifier and as the usually fitted gas boiler has been superseded by one that requires copper free plumbing a new calorifier would probably be required anyway. If its just the hot water that you are thinking of then you could use a two way valve to switch between engine and boiler using a single coil, but there are implications about the height of the header tanks. However those boilers will also run radiators so you may well upgrade the whole boat's heating an fit a twin coil calorifier. It is considered unsafe to put an instant gas water heater in series with a hot water supply because if you fed it hot water it would probably produce steam from the taps. In any case the only instant heaters I know about that can be fitted by third parties require a 240 volt electrical supply. If you can still get an upright Alde 2928 boiler using copper is no problem and its height means that using a pair of two way valves would minimise any problem with header tank levels. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.57 seconds.