Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
hippytatts
hippytatts

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:04pm

Post Subject: nav lights

Hi,my partner and I are fitting out our 50ftx12ft Avon barge and would like some advice on where to put our navigation lights and how many do we need? we will eventually be going to Europe so we have to take that into account too. Any advice will be really helpful, thanks Tina

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:17pm

Post Subject: nav lights

The international standards are laid down in what are known as "colregs" (International rules for prevention of collision at sea). Unlike cars they do not seem to give dimensions as such but quote visibility distances so achieving that may demand a certain height. It seems there may be a minimum height associated with any lights that are required to be fitted on a mast. The rules alter slightly according to length. My interpretation is that you need port & starboard side lights, a masthead light, a stern light and an anchor light, all at the required power and visibility. I strongly suspect the RYA will sell you a guide. There is a fair bit on the internet but have a look at these two links. Remember to put them on one line. http://www.solentmarine.co.uk/acatalog/AS-S40-41 -42-50-Mounting.pdf and another: http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/boating/ colregs.html. I can not be sure about any internal rules for European Countries so it would be a good idea to ensure you know the individual requirements. However I suspect any differences would be less than Colreg requirements for a single vessel but may have additional requirements for things like barge trains. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.