Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
ladymay
ladymay

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:47pm

Post Subject: EXSPANTION TANK

ON MY BOAT i HAVE A VETUS M,O6 ENGINE 16 H.P.i AM THINKING OF FITTING A EXTRA EXPANTION TANK ON THE ADVISE OF A FITTER, AFTER A HEATING PROBLEM WITCH NEEDED A NEW CYLINDER HEAD GASGET, WHAT DO YOU THINK, THANKS

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:04pm

Post Subject: EXSPANTION TANK

Dear John, what I think is that I would want a good technical explanation as to why an extra expansion tank is now required. If this is a narrowboat with a large skin tank then the manifold/header tank might well appear to empty itself of water as the water expanded due to heat and then contracted again as it cooled so it appears as if the engine is then under filled. However if you then ran the engine with the pressure cap OFF until hot you would see a full header tank of water. If its a heat exchanger boat I can see no good reason for fitting an additional header tank. If you want to experiment then take the engine filler cap to a motor factors (Brown Bros/Partco/Unipart) and ask for the same cap but with a rubber seal under the cap. Then fit a long hose to the small pipe stub that is fitted into the engine filler neck. Run this hose into the bottom any container - say a lemonade bottle. The rubber under the cap forms an air and water tight seal so as the expanding water lifts the pressure valve the water flows into the bottle. As the water contracts it opens the vacuum valve an draws the water back into the engine. If you have a skin tank and seem to constantly dump water I suspect the mechanic has not bled all the air from the system. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.