Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
bobbys
bobbys

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:33am

Post Subject: Anode

I am fitting new anodes to my narrowboat can you tell me how much bare metal i need to expose for them to work correctly.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:04am

The vital thing is that they are in as near perfect electrical contact with the hull as possible and as you should be welding them you only need to clean the hull sufficiently to allow for good welds. The weld will make a steel "bridge" between the anode strap and the hull which will also give near perfect electrical contact. Once the anodes are fitted there is no reason preventing you from blacking over the weld and strap, however NEVER black or paint the anode. Finally I trust you are fitting magnesium anodes and not zinc ones. Zinc for salt water, magnesium for fresh. Tony Brooks

bobbys
bobbys

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:09am

Many thanks for info and fast reply Best regards Tim

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.