Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
chriscolli
chriscolli

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:09pm

Post Subject: first time buyer

Hi, I have the oppportunity to buy a fifty foot Trad built 1990. I have been told on many occasion that the steel fabrication (guage) should be 10mm bottom / 6mm / 4mm and if not dont consider anything else. However, when built this particular 50ft trads specification was or is 8mm bottom / 6mm / 4mm / 3mm roof. The boat will be going to survey, but any information and advise would be great. Should i still consider the boat even though it does not have the recommended 10mm hull bottm and is 8mm. Thanks Chris

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:38am

Post Subject: first time buyer

Dear Chris, well that's upset hundreds of older boat owners! 10,6,4 is a comparatively modern specification so your specification is not at all unusual - if it was a Springer hull it could easily be 4,4,2 or similar. Many people are fixated with 10,6,4 so if you buy the boat you must accept that it will probably always be worth less than a 10,6,4 when you come to sell it. Also, without knowing the maker, the 1990 date might indicate the hull is from the budget end of the market, so that again will always affect the resale value. A 1990 10,6,4 hull that has seen a lot of hire work, then been used with unprotected mains on boars and been neglected could be a far worse buy than the same age 8,4,3 hull that has been regularly blacked and looked after so it all comes down the the results of the survey. Personally I would not be particularly concerned about the 8mm bottom plate but I would be concerned about the 4mm hull - especially around the water line - so before having a survey have a good dig all round the hull say 2 inches above and below the waterline and also below any waste water outlet to assess the depth of pitting. Be suspicious if it has a fresh coat of blacking. If the survey proves satisfactory I would advise that you find a way to tilt the boat each year so you can clean and re-black the waterline area annually and thus protect the vulnerable area of 4mm steel. Even if the surveyor finds unacceptable depth of pitting it is not and absolute no-no. If the boat is otherwise right for you talk to the surveyor about where to get it over-plated , likely cost and if he will oversee the plating. Then get a quote and make a reduced offer to cover the work. However remember the resale price will always reflect that lower specification, but evidence of over-plating under a surveyors supervision may well elevate it some what. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.62 seconds.